Life happens. You are not always going to be near a kitchen, so here are some tips and ideas to keep you on track.
1. Have a plan! If you're eating out, look at the menu beforehand and pre-select what you are going to eat. Stay away from adjectives like fried, smothered, creamy, rich, cheesy, lathered... etc.
2. As a beverage choice, ask for water or fresh squeeze juice. You can also ask for a slice of lemon if you want extra flavor on your water. Lemon will also helps with your digestion.
3. Ask for whole-wheat bread instead of white bread.
4. Ask for salad dressing to be served on the side. Then use only as much as you want.
5. Choose main dishes that include vegetables, such as stir-fries, kebabs, or salads.
6. Order steamed, grilled, or broiled dishes instead of those that are fried or sautéed.
7. Order an item from the menu instead of heading for the buffet.
8. If the main portions at a restaurant are larger than you want, try one of these strategies to keep from overeating:
Order an appetizer-sized portion or a side dish instead of an entrée.
Share a main dish with a friend.
When your food is delivered, set aside or pack half of it to go immediately (before you start eating it).
9. Resign from the "clean your plate club" - when you've eaten enough, leave the rest or pack the left over for the next meal. You can even give it to a homeless on your way to your car if you prefer.
10. To keep your meal moderate in calories, fat, and sugars:
Ask for salad dressing to be served "on the side" so you can add only as much as you want.
Order foods that do not have creamy sauces or gravies
Add little or no butter to your food.
Choose fruits for dessert.
On long commutes or shopping trips, pack some fresh fruit, cut-up vegetables, or a handful of unsalted nuts to help you avoid stopping for sweet or fatty snacks.
11. Try not to eat after 8 pm or 2-3 hours before bed.
12. Avoid simple carbohydrates. (ex: sugary cereal, white bread, cookies, pasta (white), crackers, biscotti, etc)
13. Drop the Gatorade, soda and artificial teas. Water aids in weight loss. Try to consume more water.
14. Pre-make snacks and meals ahead of time. When you don't have time to think, you are more inclined to make better decisions if they are ready-made in your pantry and fridge.
15. Eat veggies raw whenever possible.
Do you have any extra tips? Share with us below.
Do you want professional help to improve your health? Ana can help you.
She offers in-person ( South Charlotte -NC) and virtual sessions.