Updated: Feb 9, 2020
When we are living lives filled with activity, noise, and hurry, it is incredibly difficult to feel healthy and rested. When that is our overall experience with life, the result is that we become stressed and burned out.
What is self-care for you? How do you practice it?
Here are some ideas for self-care:
1. Simplify your schedule: Are you over-committed? Are there things that you need to let go? Ask yourself which activities and relationships are truly adding value to your life, and intentionally make space for those things.
2. Do something that energizes your body: yoga, Pilates, swim, run, or whatever physical activity you enjoy. Exercise is a key part of self-care.
3. Eat more Fruits and Vegetables: even better eliminate sugar, dairy, meat, wheat, caffeine and processed foods for few days/weeks.
4. Sleep: Go to bed 30 minutes earlier. Push yourself to get up before the rest of the world - start with 7am, then 6am, then 5:30am. Push yourself to fall asleep earlier - start with 11pm, then 10pm, then 9:30pm. wake up in the morning feeling re-energized and comfortable.
5. Listen to my favorite music: Listen (and share) with us your favorite music.
6. Do something today just because it makes you happy: Do this activity mindfully and slowly. Savor the moment, and experience your activity with attentiveness. Walk with a straight posture.
7. Have a date night: get quality time with a quality person. Hang out with someone who you love. It can be with your partner or your best friend.
8. Write a love letter to yourself: express to yourself all the words that you have been waiting for someone else tell you, write down how much you love yourself and how much you appreciate yourself.
9. Be still: find a quiet place outside, and embrace the stillness. Take a full day to rest and rejuvenate.
10. Unplug for a day: Go on a media and technology fast, and turn off any unnecessary electronic devices. Unplug from email and social media for 24 hours
11. Enjoy a healthy meal: Get into the habit of cooking yourself a beautiful breakfast or a delicious dinner. Add colors, textures and smells. Please all your senses. Healthy food doesn’t have to be boring.
12. Oral health: brushing and flossing the teeth at least twice daily. And don’t forget to scrap the tongue daily.
13. Stretch: Find the kinks and tension spots in your body, and stretch them out. Start by reaching for the sky as hard as you can, then trying to touch your toes. Roll your head. Stretch your fingers. Stretch everything. Sitting All Day? Try These 10 Gentle Stretches.
14. Do something new: have you been considering learning a new skill or trying a new hobby? Go for it. What interests you? Painting? Reading? Get out of your comfort zone and enjoy it.
15. Dance it out: Put on your favorite dance music, and shake your body.
16. Drink more water: Buy a 1L water bottle. Start with pushing yourself to drink the whole thing in a day, then try drinking it twice a day.
17. Write or journal your thoughts: Take 5-10 minutes, and jot down whatever is on your mind. Mentally release those things as you write. Write down everything you do or feel, including dinner dates, appointments, assignments, coffees, what you need to do that day. This is a great way to learn about yourself. No detail is too small.
18. Repeat your favorite affirmation: Write it down on a piece of paper and or add it on your calendar (you can even add an hourly/daily alert) and repeat your favorite affirmation frequently.
19. Feel the soil: Dig your fingers into the earth, play with the soil, plant a seed. Watch your success as it grows every day.
20. De-clutter: Choose a place -- your email inbox, your desk, a closet -- and get rid of the excess and junk. Organize your room. Fold all your clothes (and bag what you don’t want), clean your mirror, your laptop, vacuum the floor.
21. Light a beautiful candle: Recite a prayer, your favorite affirmation, write down your intention for today
22. Practice mini-meditation: you can practice during the day or you can begin or end your day with a minute of deep breathing, and focused awareness of your body, thoughts, and feelings. You can ground yourself at least once a day. Try this grounding meditation.
23. Have a luxurious shower or a long, warm bath: Play your favorite music. Wash your hair, scrub your body, brush your teeth. Lather your whole body in moisturizer, get familiar with the part between your toes, your inner thighs, the back of your neck. Feel and celebrate your body.
24. Go for a walk: Explore your area at a leisurely pace. Take a walk outside- either in the morning or after work, or maybe during your lunch break. Smile at strangers walking the other way and be surprised how many smiles back. If you are walking with your dog, pause and smell the flowers with your dog, we can learn so much from our dog.
25. Connect with others: Message old friends with personal jokes. Reminisce. Suggest a catch up soon, and push yourself to follow through. Talk to acquaintances so they become friends.
26. Be Kind: Become the person you would ideally fall in love with. Let cars merge into your lane when driving. Help an animal. Compliment people on their cute clothes. Look people in the eye. Ask people about their stories.
27. Unconditional love: Challenge yourself to not criticize/judge anyone (including yourself) for a whole day. Then two, then a week.
28. Be silly: Stick your tongue out at babies. Tell a funny joke to a stranger. Use a funny accessory.
29. Enjoy nature: stand or lie on the grass, feel the sunshine on your skin. Walk barefoot. Enjoy nature. Smell the flowers around you. Watch the sun rise.
30. Reflect on your personal mission statement: If you don't have a personal mission statement, create one.
31. Take small steps to make it happen for you... daydream about the life you would lead if the failure wasn’t a thing. open your eyes.
32. Self-massage: use your hands, a cloth or a dry brush. Treat your body. Appreciate every part of your body that work well. Love your feet that help you to arrive where you want. Thank you your hands for all them can do for you all day long. Belly rubs every day can greatly help with elimination (go in circles clockwise). You can use coconut oil or your favorite oil.
33. Use a Sauna/steam: allow your body to relax and detox
What is one thing you can do today to practice self-care?
How do you generally practice self-care?
Share it with us!!
Did you watch our Self-Care Webinar?
* Fill your calendar out with your own self-care practices, and post it in a place that you look everyday (like your refrigerator or bathroom mirror) ;)
Do you want even more:
Join Be Healthy Academy to learn more about how you can practice self-care and self-love!!!
Be Healthy Academy is a one-of-a-kind membership dedicated to helping women (and men) improve their life and their health. It combines actionable steps, authentic healing practices, and monthly in-depth training to help you master the skills necessary to create a long-lasting inner transformation.
Are you ready to Take back YOUR POWER and RECLAIM YOUR HEALTH, naturally?